Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Is Gifted a Four Letter Word?

Obviously not – G-I-F-T-E-D -- that is six letters.  Yes, I can still count that high.  However, it can be a dirty word. 

My journey as a gifted adult and female, has lead to hiding the giftedness as I moved from school to school as an Army dependent.  Oh, yes, I participated in accelerated classes or classes a grade level ahead of me (especially at the different high schools).  I usually would relate it to the fact I had gone to different schools.  In my case, there was no planning, or formal identification of being gifted because of attending so many schools (various states and countries). 

So I did not hear the gifted label frequently applied to me.  It was more you are so smart or you’re too smart for your own good.  I knew I was different.  I knew I did not think the same way most other people thought.  I was a typical kid wanting to be accepted.  However, the moving around was both a blessing and a curse.  Each time I arrived at a new place I was starting fresh with making friends.  I learned how to make friends quickly.   The friends I made were not close friends, most of the time, as I anticipated the next move.  In the early years the strategy worked well.  I had a great time.  I knew everyone and did lots of things.  As I went from high school to high school, it was not as easy.  I made friends.  I, also, experienced more teasing, ridicule, and rejection for being an outsider, an Army dependent, and for being smart.  I was successful in the different high schools.  I participated in different clubs and after school activities.  I made good grades (of course not too good).  I stayed on the college track.  I graduated with college credits.

I went to college.  I had many interests.  I had a goal of medical doctor.  I completed all the pre-med classes.  I lacked 6 hours of chemistry of having a micro-biology degree.  I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Sociology and minor in non-verbal communication.  I was involved in the campus youth church, dancing (ballroom & popular), outdoor activities of camping, bicycling, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing.  I tutored the engineering students.  I graduated in 3 ½ years.  It was college, I ran with my peers through grad students.  I took the MCATs twice, did well, but not outstanding (good at dumbing down).  I was told without the science degree I would not get into medical school. 

What was next?  I didn’t know.  My plan was no longer in place.  I decided to live in the big city for a while.  I proceeded to get a job as a surgery scheduler for anesthesiologists.  I always do a good job.  However, that did not work so well for this job.  I was quick, efficient and dedicated to doing the job well.  The gal I was partnered with was next in line for supervisor of the unit.  Guess what, I was let go within my 90 day probationary period, same day she became supervisor.  Ah well, time for another adventure – various jobs, career opportunities, on to Master’s degree, and then two non-traditional degrees.  There are successes along the way.  However, there is repeat experiences of acceptance and rejection of my abilities, my potential solutions, and my concerns.  There are frustrations for the limitations placed on expressing my talents.  There are choices made, leaving me wondering what next? 

Then comes the current track of the journey – finding out more about being gifted and saying loud and proud I am gifted.  It was never about not knowing.  I knew I was.  I knew the father of my sons was (and he dodged it a great deal of the time – perforated ulcer at age 8).  Both my sons are gifted.  I have been a strong advocate for the boys to help them know, acknowledge and develop their gifts. My steps are to discover more of my giftedness and to share my journey with others to provide information, resources, options for each gifted person to make a conscious choice regarding their talents, versus decisions by default.  Gifted does not have to be a dirty word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment